Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Lemon Crack Y'all




I love lemons… seriously. I love them. I put lemon juice on everything. Fish, veggies, chicken, pasta, hummus (seriously delicious, try it), you name it. When I heard of a recipie for Lemon Buttermilk Popsicles I died. Because as much as I love lemons, I’m also a huge fan of buttermilk… pancakes, red velvet cake, chocolate cake… all of these things are made better with buttermilk.
Let me just tell you that these popsicles do not disappoint! The combination of sour lemons and tangy buttermilk is quite possibly the most refreshing summer snack around. Please don’t limit yourself to just popsicles… you can also throw this mixture in an ice cream maker and basically die upon first bite… AMAZING.

Without further ado…

LEMON BUTTERMILK ICE CREAM (or popsicles, or milkshakes, or whatever)
Aka LEMON CRACK

Here’s what you’ll need

1 ½ cups sugar
10 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (use as much, or as little, as you like)
4 tablespoons grated lemon peel
Pinch of salt
2 1/3 cups buttermilk

STEP ONE:
Get yourself a container you can seal and shake. You can whisk this, naturally, but shaking is way more fun.

STEP TWO:
Zest your lemons directly in to the container.

STEP THREE:
Squeeze your lemon juice directly into the container. Fun tip… I take my zester and lay it over the top of the dish and squeeze my lemons over it. It catches all the seeds! Geez, I’m so smart.

STEP FOUR:
Add your sugar and buttermilk to the container. ( I forgot to take a picture of the buttermilk in there… use your imagination.)
STEP FOUR:
Shake it up! Again, no picture of that either. It’s pretty hard to shake something and take a picture with the other hand. Just imagine dancing around your kitchen shaking some Tupperware.

STEP FIVE:
EITHER… pour it into a popsicle mold
OR… run in through your ice cream maker
THEN… freeze it. Let it freeze good. You want your first taste to be perfect.

STEPS SIX AND SEVEN:
Eat! And then go slap yo’ momma… cause that’s how good this is!!

Couple of standard disclaimers…
I respectfully borrowed this recipie from http://www.epicurious.com/. I doubled it though, because the original version only makes about 3 cups of ice cream.
Also, please don’t judge me by my bad pictures. I hope to locate my real digital camera any day now…. Have you seen it?

No comments:

Post a Comment